Sunday, November 1, 2015

Winter ... renamed First Frost

The last time I posted regarding this quilt, I thought I was almost finished.  After all, I had
both the front & the back "done".  Thank You & More  The front, however, sat on my design wall for a long time because it just didn't seem ... well, like "me".  So I added a pieced border & loved it!  (At last count there were 95 different fabrics in the top.)

When it came to the quilting, I ran into trouble.  It seemed like organic vertical lines would work. But they didn't & for the first time ever I picked out every last stitch over a three day period.  Additionally, the quilt seemed too puffy which I felt detracted from the design so I switched the batting.  And then there was the pieced back which needed to be enlarged because of the border & although I was happy with how it turned out, maybe between the front & the back, there were just too many seams for my home machine to handle.  So I made a new back & plan to turn the first back into a new quilt.

Here's the final finish which I love!  A friend asked me if I would donate it to a fundraiser 
which I did.  Here's hoping someone else will love it, too!






14 comments:

  1. Very very nice! I love the arrangement and the colors as well as the color placement. This is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made the right call with your decision to add the border - I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the border too, it lifts it :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The values and colors are stunning! Gorgeous job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..This is a winner...Great job...I totally love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new name and added border. The colors are perfect together. It looks warmer just like first frost.. Not too cold but hint of changing season on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly beautiful. Love the textures and colors and their connections.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just right, very encouraging to hear about your process. Being tenacious paid off big time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it! It sounds like you're really in tune with what works for you and that's so helpful. Undoing what you're not happy with is worth it, even though sometimes it's discouraging. Thanks for sharing your process on how you work through a challenge. Someone is going to be very happy with this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very beautiful. The border was a good choice ! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is gorgeous!! Love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful - you have a great sense of color and style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love this blog. All the brilliant colors and designs. Two thumbs up!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.